Monday, July 19, 2010

My little bird



It's funny how whenever one of our children are about to head off to the big world of kindergarten I seem to notice the little bird's nests around our yard...

In simple amazement I watch each phase of the little finch, robin, and cardinal families as they 'raise up' their little ones.

A few things that I notice:

* the male and female both work hard and work together to build a safe and secure little nest, just big enough for what they need
* after the eggs arrive, the happy couple very carefully keep these fragile little eggs warm and protected
* when the eggs finally hatch, it's teamwork again~ watching, gathering food, and guarding against unwelcomed visitors
* then flight school 101...

I love being the mother of our children. And I love having them with me in our nest... For about 20 years that's all I've known. But, school starts soon and my littlest companion will 'fly the nest' like his older brother and sisters did.

Some moms cry on their child's first day of school and a few feel relief and others, both.

I try to remember the bird's nests and the lessons that can be learned from the little creatures.

Children are meant to grow. I once heard a man much wiser than me say that a mother's fulfillment starts out very full and as her children grow and become more and more independent from their parents, her sense of being fulfilled by her children decreases. Makes sense. I guess they call that a season...

My hope for our growing and changing children is that as their dependence grows less on my husband and I, that it will increase to their Father in heaven.

And so I let another little birdie jump. And trust the One who says that He clothes the flowers and cares for the birds of the air... Luke 12:24

And hug and an occasional chocolate chip cookie will be waiting when the little growing, changing birdies come back home... and they'll have a chore or 2 and homework...

I guess it's supposed to be that way. So I might cry on the first day of school and I might enjoy a quiet moment too. Either way I will try to focus on the reality that God really is holding our children in the very palm of His hand...

Maybe I'll even find time to sit in my white chair and blog a little more.

Until next time, peace and rest to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...