Wednesday, September 5, 2012

lovely laundry {?}




{laundry and loveliness}
(Can those two words even go together?)



Oh! Hello!

Just caught me thinking here...

My husband and I had coffee this morning
and we try to touch base and pray together early in the day
especially when he's out and about.

This was his view as he sipped his Starbucks:

{New York City.  I'm not jealous. I'm not jealous... love New York.}

And this was my view:

 {Not New York City.  My view similar to this anyway... 
This photo was taken a few months ago at the local laundromat after our clothes dryer died. don't love.}


While having a.m. coffee he asked me the normal 
 conversational questions like:
"What do you have planned for today?"

Thinking out loud here:
Let's see...
I have one that I am homeschooling,
two that get out of school early,
one college student that would appreciate
 a haircut before he has to go to work, then class...
 one that gets picked up at 3 p.m.
and one home with a fever ...(?)
{for you counting, that's just 6}

"Laundry."

That was my answer.

"Laundry" I said to my traveling, fine dining,
Starbucks sippin husband, 
as I took a sip of my Maxwell House.  :] 
{I used to buy a $5.00 bag of shrimp at Walmart and make Scampi while he was gone 
to make myself feel better about the eating out thing... :] }



Have you heard of 'Strengths Finder?'
'Living Your Strengths'

It's a Gallup Press book written 
to help people dis cover 
{yes, I did that on purpose}
talents and gifts.

Well, I took the test
and it was confirmed: I am a list person.
Strategic.
Task driven and creative.
I like to see what I've accomplished.
It's difficult for me to pace through a project.
I prefer to just get it done and move on
 to the next thing.
Strengths Finders tests results tell me that
I am strong in:
*Strategic *Input *Focus *Woo *Responsibility

Which brings complete sanity to me
as to why 'laundry'
{can be such a dirty word}
has always been such a... challenge to me.

{Belle being her helpful self. Yes. Cat on laundry.}

It's not getting the stains out,
washing, drying or folding, 
or even helping to re-organize
 kid's drawers 
or closets to have each person put it away
 that feels like wading through thick mud 
with swimming fins attached to my feet.

{You don't want to know... let's just say makin laundry}

It's that it's so... ongoing.

I cannot check it off a list, ever.

It returns to my list, almost hourly.
Over and over and over.
{I'm not whining.  Or complaining. Really.
Just saying, to validate and just being real}

When I was in junior high
we had some drop-in company
and to my horror
{insert screetching sounds}
My step-mother panicked 
and had us grab all
the dirty dishes and shove them 
into the oven.
"Hurry!  They'll see them!"
Like it was a horrible disease 
or something.

{Child of mine helping with breakfast}

I didn't get it.
I thought maybe she was going to
set the oven on 'CLEAN' and burn the dishes
to clean them, but there were plastic glasses?
{Dad has remarried since then, so no, it's not Joan-
she would have had us do the dishes!}

I have since learned that some people 
will hide dirty laundry, too.

I don't dare do that.
{I'd get so far behind!}

I have this photo saved on my computer.
I am so glad that I still have it.

{Trying to be ok with lots of laundry}

 Newborn baby.
{Child #6}
Laundry.

Husband brought up 
all clean unfolded laundry 
before he had to leave for work.
{helpful}
Two and four year old daughters
 saw the pile
and had a great idea to play
'King of the Hill'
and then roll down the mountain.
{creative?}

  Me.
 "Ugh." 
Then 'light bulb.'

"Honey, would you grab the camera?"

If you can't beat it. {laundry}
Make a lounge chair out of it, right?

Complete with coffee,
newborn, toddler, and pre-schooler.

{one of my sweet little laundry making machines}

I figure with almost 25 years of marriage
and 6 children and may as well throw in all the pets, 
 they are often major contributors, too...
5 loads/week for 2 years 
{before children}
+
15 loads/week for 23 years
{average with children}
=
18,720 loads of laundry.
I'd like to take this opportunity
to publicly thank my washers and dryers.
"Plural?" you may ask.
"Yes, it took a village."

That doesn't count the 35 loads that I had to do 
in  three days the time a little girl 
with an infestation of lice :|
played with our daughters all summer long
before we discovered our little house guests...
but don't tell anyone.

That's a secret.

{shhh...}

Maybe that's one of those
"Hurry, hide the dishes" type issues.

{Caught trying out some new hair 'gel' on baby brother
and I still have no idea what was being flushed down the toilet by other child in photo}


Sometimes, life can just be that way.

Well... no.

Most of the time, life is just that way.

Just sayin
and please don't judge.
I do my best.



blessings,
deborah

















1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...